Statement by the Secretary-General – on COVID-19

The Covid-19 pandemic is one of the most dangerous challenges this world has faced in our lifetime. It is above all a human crisis with severe health and socio-economic consequences.

The World Health Organization, with thousands of its staff, is on the front lines, supporting Member States and their societies, especially the most vulnerable among them, with guidance, training, equipment and concrete life-saving services as they fight the virus. 

Continue reading

United Nations Secretary-General launches plan to ‎address the potentially devastating socio-economic ‎impacts of COVID-19‎

Establishes global fund to support low- and middle-income countries

NEW YORK, 31 MARCH 2020—The new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is attacking societies at their core, claiming lives and people’s livelihoods. The potential longer-term effects on the global economy and those of individual countries are dire.

In a new report, Shared responsibility, global solidarity: Responding to the socio-economic impacts of COVID-19, the United Nations Secretary-General calls on everyone to act together to address this impact and lessen the blow to people.

The report describes the speed and scale of the outbreak, the severity of cases, and the societal and economic disruption of COVID-19, which has so far claimed the lives of 33 257 people, with 697 244 confirmed cases in 204 countries, areas and territories (1).

“COVID-19 is the greatest test that we have faced together since the formation of the United Nations,” said António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations. “This human crisis demands coordinated, decisive, inclusive and innovative policy action from the world’s leading economies – and maximum financial and technical support for the poorest and most vulnerable people and countries.” Continue reading

UN Secretary-General’s remarks at G-20 Virtual Summit on the COVID-19 Pandemic

THE SECRETARY-GENERAL 

REMARKS AT G20 VIRTUAL SUMMIT ON THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC 

26 March 2020 

Thank you, Your Majesty, for convening this meeting. 

We are at war with a virus – and not winning it.

It took the world three months to reach 100,000 confirmed cases of infection. 

The next 100,000 happened in just 12 days. 

The third took four days.

The fourth, just one and a half.

This is exponential growth and only the tip of the iceberg. 

This war needs a war-time plan to fight it.

Continue reading

COVID-19 Global Humanitarian Response Plan‎

A global approach is the only way to fight COVID-19, the UN says as it launches humanitarian response plan 

 UN humanitarian chief warns that failing to help vulnerable countries fight the coronavirus now could place millions at risk and leave the virus free to circle back around the globe.

  • UN launches US$2 billion global humanitarian response to fight COVID-19 in 51 countries across South America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
  • Governments urged to commit to fully supporting the global humanitarian response plan, while sustaining funding to existing humanitarian appeals.

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres today [Wednesday, 25 March] launched a US $2 billion coordinated global humanitarian response plan to fight COVID-19 in some of the world’s most vulnerable countries in a bid to protect millions of people and stop the virus from circling back around the globe. Continue reading