Consultancy: Communications Associate
- Application Deadline: 07 July 2017
- Type of Contract: Individual Contract
- Languages Required: English and Urdu
- Duration: 6 months
- Starting Date: 01 August 2017
At the United Nations Information Centre we disseminate information and raise awareness of the activities of the United Nations in Pakistan. We are responsible for promoting the activities of Secretary-General and of the main bodies of the United Nations. We also lead the United Nations Communications Group, a network of communications experts working together to ensure a comprehensive and unified image of the United Nations in Pakistan. We provide support to the different agencies, funds and programmes of the United Nations for their outreach and media events.
Peacekeeping is one among a range of activities undertaken by the United Nations to maintain international peace and security throughout the world and has proven to be one of the most effective tools to assist host countries navigate the difficult path from conflict to peace. Peacekeeping has unique strengths, including legitimacy, burden sharing, and an ability to deploy and sustain troops and police from around the globe, integrating them with civilian peacekeepers to advance multidimensional mandates.
Duties and Responsibilities
This consultancy is related mainly to peacekeeping and to the following duties and responsibilities:
- Develop a communications strategy to raise awareness of UN peacekeeping;
- Manage the development of outreach publications such as official brochures and magazines;
- Write, review, edit, format, and proofread content for both print and online communications;
- Promote key events and publications through media outreach, social media, and other means;
- Produce ad-hoc events;
- Develop relationships and networks to enhance outreach;
- Work with team members, as assigned for timely completion of tasks;
- Any other relevant task assigned
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: Master’s degree in mass communications, journalism, humanities, international relations, political sciences, development or a related field. Alternatively, a bachelor’s degree with a relevant amount of experience will be also considered.
- A minimum of 6 years relevant working experience, preferably in an international setting.
- Excellent writing and communications skills in English and Urdu.
- Familiarity with the UN system and current issues related to sustainability ad peacekeeping.
- Proven ability to efficiently manage a variable workload.
- Excellent computer skills and web literacy are essential.
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Language requirements: Excellent written and spoken English and Urdu are required. Ability in other official UN languages is an advantage.
How to apply
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curriculum Vitae (only P11 forms will be accepted)
- 4 writing samples, 2 English and 2 in Urdu
- Detailed financial proposal in US $